Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tips for a enjoyable stampin up convention - Late Night Stampers and friends

I have been a demo for 19 years and have attended countless conventions!


Most important, good walking shoes. I bring 2 pairs and switch off every other day, that way me feet never get blisters.
I'm not a big walker, so to prepare I get on my tread mill and work up to "3 miles a day" by July.
The convention center is huge and even though our hotel is right next door, we get a lot of walking in!!!!
I also like to soak my feet in the Jacussi or tub when I can.

Bring a photo ID, you will need it to pick up your convention bag.

My advice is go to momento mall first thing because the line is very long!!!! You will NOT need your credit card at momento mall, they will use the card you have on file with stampin up.

The next most important thing to me is bring a name tag, and a bright colored ribbon for your convention bag. It's hard to pick yours out of a sea of 7 thousand.

Bring a camera, instead of taking a photo of the entire display board, zoom in and take photos of the samples you believe you will duplicate. If a photo is too far away, it will do you no good. Charge your battery each night and make sure you put it back in your camera before you go back to the Salt Palace convention center each day.

About swaps, it really does not matter if you have 50 or 400 or even what stamps you use.
Just be sure and use current product and do your best work.

My SWAP advice is
Swap with everyone who asks until you run out of cards.
Be kind- It's important that each participant have a good swapping experience, if someone does not wish to swap, don't let that person ruin your entire day. I have yet to meet a swapping snob.... I have been very blessed to receive wonderful cards in return for mine. I take my favorite ones and put them in cello envelopes and put them on my display boards for my customers to see. A good sample sells stamps!!!! I take the others and make them into full cards and use them in my business or donate them to our Ronald McDonald House cards for kids charity events.

Make sure to save your very best swap card for the stampin up display card basket. Stampin up will put your card on display so everyone can take a photo of it. It's fun to see how many demos post your artwork on their blogs!!!!

For the past 2 years I have been hiring sample makers to create my swap cards for me in exchange for stampin up merchandise. I hired over 20 sample makers last year and went to convention with over 400 swaps! This year due to the economy I have only hired half as many sample makers but their cards are wonderful and they put a lot of time into them. I really wish I could afford to hire more but I decided to pay the way for 2 of my team members who have never gone to convention before so they could have the experience.

I believe going to convention and leadership has helped keep me motivated, has helped keep me In LOVE with our products and has helped me sell over $176,818. in product over the years. I try each year to better my best and sell a bit more then I did the year before.

I love the stamp sets they give us at convention, I love making the card samples and projects during the make-n-takes.
I love seeing all my good friends at convention, many of us try and stay at the same hotels and a handful of us come 2 days early to stamp and play! We do shoe box swaps and enjoy a stamp camp together. It's so much fun, I can't wait for July!!!!

Hope these ideas help you have a better convention experience
Sherrill Graff istmpnv@aol.com

4 comments:

Latenightstamper said...

If you are a stampin up demonstrator and wish to see all the photos from this post go look on stampin connection
http://www.stampinconnection.com/forum/topics/preparing-for-my-first
the photos on this post seem to be cut off, sorry

Taylor said...

Hope I am not posting this over and over, lol.

Its lovely to hear someone being generous in spirit by helping others such as you have with your friends and convention. Thank you for the helpful tips too!

Hopefully we'll swap one day - I'm hoping to get there myself one year soon!

Cheers!

Naomi said...

Thank you for your tips it is my first time going to convention and I am excited to attend but want to be prepared so thank you !!!

Naomi said...

Thank you for your tips it is my first time going to convention and I am excited to attend but want to be prepared so thank you !!!